Abandonned Shopping Carts
1) The City or public may report the location of an abandoned shopping cart found in the City by calling the toll-free telephone number provided by the owner of the cart. See attached list for store names and contact numbers.
2. The owner shall have seventy-two (72) hours from the date the report is made to retrieve the carts from the specified locations. A contractor may be hired at the owner’s expense for retrieval of shopping carts.
3. If the City identifies, salvages, or reclaims an abandoned shopping cart it shall use the toll-free telephone line provided to report the existence and location of an abandoned shopping cart to the owner of the shopping cart if the owner is identifiable.
4. If a cart does not have a sign with the information required by Section 8.24.020, the City shall make a reasonable effort to identify and contact the owner of the cart and report the existence of an abandoned shopping cart. If the City is able to identify the owner of the cart, the owner shall have seventy-two (72) hours from the date the report is made to retrieve the cart. If the City is unable to identify the owner of the shopping cart after reasonable effort has been made and seventy-two (72) hours has passed, the City may take custody of the cart.
When calling to report an abandoned shopping cart, make sure you have the following information:
1) Number of Carts
2) Location of the Cart(s)- Address is preferred, but an intersection is adequate.
3) Your Name- They may ask for your name and phone number incase they have a problem locating the cart.
Please see the attached file below for full details.